Today I had so much fun chatting with my friend Amy Moy and her wife Dawn. Amy and Dawn have known each other for 14 years, been together for 10, were first married in 2010, not recognized then by the state, and then again legally in 2013. They welcomed their daughter in 2012. Amy, is a birth doula, childbirth educator and placenta specialist here in the Sacramento area. Check out River Bend Birth Services! After the birth of their daughter with a doula by their side, she realized her passion and dove into birth work, believing that every family deserves to experience the kind of compassionate and continuous care that a doula provides. This year, Amy also created Q-Village Birth Associates, a skilled and dedicated group of LGBTQ-identified birth professionals serving families here in Sacramento. Dawn, grew up in San Diego, graduated with a criminal justice degree from Cal State Hayward, and has worked in the field of loss prevention since 2008. She has played semi-professional women's baseball over the years and her biggest claim to fame was playing in the first 24-hour baseball game in history - it was an AIDS fundraiser.
In their episode we talk about:
- How Dawn carried their baby, Veronica, while Amy was a Stay-at-Home mom
- The challenges of conceiving and being able to switch which partner they tried with
- As a butch, how Dawn struggled with maternity clothes
- The inappropriate questions people ask surrounding pregnancy and concieving
- Their Home Birth experience
- The importance of well-rounded childbirth education with realistic expectations
- Doulas, Placenta Capsules and more!
- Finding - or building - your own community
- Deciding to use a known donor when conceiving their daughter
- Amy's challenge of being the stay-at-home parent while the nursing parent was at work
- The importance of taking some time away when you need it
- Dawn talks about nursing in a loss prevention job where finding time to pump was hard
- Push back from family on birth, postpartum and parenting
- Trusting your instincts
This episode of the Postpartum Podcast is sponsored by Earth Mama Angel Baby. Earth Mama Angel Baby has been safely nurturing pregnant women and babies for over a decade with trusted, certified organic and natural herbal products formulated to support the entire journey of childbirth, from pregnancy through postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and baby care, and even baby loss. Listeners can get 20% off your order with the code"Postpartum20" at checkout.
You can find the show wherever you find your podcasts, or stream it here.
As always, please consider subscribing and leaving a review on iTunes here. Your reviews really help the show out because they allow it to be more visible so that we can reach more moms.
Do you shop on Amazon? Use this link and do your shopping as you always would and the show will get a teeny tiny kickback.
The podcast is also sponsored by Audible.com. To get your FREE audiobook and 30-day trial, please go tohttp://www.audibletrial.com/postpartum
You can also support the show by becoming a patron on Patreon. No donation is too small, for as little as $1 per episode, you can make a huge difference for the show. Click here to learn more.
Thank you SO much for your support!