The Birth of a Child is the Birth of a FAMILY.
I am an International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) certified Childbirth Educator and Certified Lactation Educator offering private and semi-private childbirth, breastfeeding and postpartum classes in the greater Sacramento area. My philosophy of birth is that it is a normal, beautiful, powerful and physiologic process and that ALL families have the absolute right to knowledge about all of the choices, options and alternatives they have when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth. It is only with knowledge that you can make informed decisions about your care. Classes are fun, encouraging, informative and inspiring! Due to the small group and private nature, couples get to know one another better and get more hands on practice and assistance.
UPDATE: As of February 2017, I am currently only offering private classes on a request only basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in scheduling a private class. If you are delivering at Sutter Sacramento (WCC), Sutter Davis, Sutter Roseville or Kaiser South Sacramento and would like to take a class from me through the hospital, please feel free to email me and I will let you know my hospital schedule. Thanks!
When signing up for classes:
- Please include your name, your partner's name and your due date in the Paypal checkout notes
- Please indicate the date you are signing up for.
- After registration, you will receive a questionnaire to fill out prior to class so that I can better tailor class curriculum to individual participants.
About the Classes:
Childbirth Choices Prep Series
- Series of 3 classes
- 2 1/2 hours per class
- Limit 3 couples
What will you learn?
When you complete the Childbirth Choices Prep Series you will feel confident that you have the tools for whatever your labor throws at you. Over the course of three weeks, you and your partner will learn:
- The Physiological Process of Childbirth
- Signs of Labor
- Comfort Measures for Labor (with lots of in-class practice!) - Including relaxation, breath techniques and ideal positioning
- How to Make Informed Decisions about Your Care
- The Pros and Cons of Common Medical Interventions, Medications and Procedures
- Positions and Tools for Transition and Pushing
- What to Expect Immediately Postpartum
- And More
Upcoming Class Dates:
Email kelliejoywrites at gmail.com for current dates or to inquire about private classes
Best Start Breastfeeding Class
- One 1 1/2 hour class
- Limit 3 Couples
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that we exclusively breastfeed our babies for the first six months of their lives, and then continue to breastfeed until at least 2 years old and beyond. Whatever your breastfeeding goals, knowledge is power, and how breastfeeding is approached immediately postpartum and in the early weeks of infancy lay the foundation for a strong breastfeeding relationship going forward. In this short class you will learn:
- How Breast Milk Production works
- Tips to get breastfeeding off to a great start
- Typical breastfeeding 'holds' (with in class practice)
- Feeding & Fullness Cues
- Latch Basics
- Potential Early Breastfeeding Challenges
- Milk Expression & Storage
- Risks of Formula
Upcoming Class Dates: COMING IN EARLY 2017
Postpartum Prep Class
- One 1 hour Class
- Limit 3 Couples
One of my friends likened preparing for birth to preparing for a wedding. Once the wedding is over you have to also prepare for the marriage. Similarly, once the birth is over, you have to be ready for Postpartum. The postpartum period is an often overlooked time in a family's life in our culture, and this class seeks to give you the tools to be prepared for the intense changes that your life is about to undergo. In this one-hour class you will learn:
- Immediate Postpartum Information
- What to expect during the postpartum period: Physical, Mental and Relationship Changes
- Comfort Care for the new mom after the birth
- Baby behavior and cues based on the UC Davis studies
- Soothing Skills, Normal Newborn Crying & Sleep Patterns
- Suggestions for what to prepare ahead of time to ease this transition
- Basic Babywearing information
- "What can I help with?" - Answers to this question that multiple friends and family are sure to ask once the baby is here
- The signs, symptoms and statistics for postpartum mood disorders
- Tons of local Resources for postpartum support & moms' and parents' groups
Upcoming Class Dates: Email kelliejoywrites at gmail.com to talk about private classes
You can take the Postpartum Prep Class with the Childbirth Prep Series for $275
All Semi-Private classes take place at my home in the Oak Park Area of Sacramento.
Customized Classes and Private Classes are also available, please use the contact form below to inquire about rates and more information.